Periodic descaling may be necessary in areas where the water supply is highly mineralized. Scale build up in the AquaTru Pump and the Reverse Osmosis filter may result in reduced flow rates or in some cases a complete loss of flow.
It is important that these steps are taken before you experience a complete loss of flow. Descaling an AquaTru unit with no flow may not be successful. Using an AquaTru with very low flow rate might permanently damage the pump.
When should descaling maintenance be performed?
When the flow rate has become so slow that the filtering time is over 25 minutes for one tank. Depending on the mineral content of the water, a new unit should filter one tank in about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Purified water, 2 tanks of purified AquaTru water or any water with low TDS and zero chlorine.
- Powdered food grade Citric Acid. For best results, use Citric Acid in the anhydrous form. It will usually be marketed as Critic Acid
- Tea kettle or pot for warming the water
- 1 new AquaTru RO filter, if your flow is slow (exceeding 25 minutes). If you are just descaling to complete regular maintenance, you do not need to replace the RO filter.
Before starting this procedure, make sure that the tap tank is clean and free of any hard water deposit. If you live in an area with hard water, it is important that you always keep the tap tank clean and free of scale. The scale in the tank can come loose as small scale-flakes that block the pump. We recommend that you clean and remove any scaling from the tap tank once a week.
- Heat purified water to around 80 to 120-degrees F (similar to hot water from the tap).
- Fill the tap tank to about ½ inch below the handle.
- Add 30ml (2 tablespoons) of Citric Acid to the water. Stir for 30 seconds to fully dissolve the Citric Acid in the water.
- Replace the Reverse Osmosis filter with a new filter, if applicable.
- Place the tap tank on the AquaTru base and let it start filtering. After about 5 minutes of filtering, turn off the power and let it sit and soak for 15 minutes. Turn it back on and let it complete filtering the Citric Acid water.
- Filter 2 full tanks of cold tap water through AquaTru and discard the water.
- Clean both tanks with soap and water before using the AquaTru again.
For regular maintenance, and to prolong the life of the RO filter, we recommend that you do this once a month. If done regularly, the life of the RO filter will be increased.